At Globus, we move with a sense of urgency to deliver innovations that improve the quality of life of patients, inspired by the surgeons and healthcare providers who treat them.
Our world-class engineering works to transform clinical insights into tangible musculoskeletal solutions. We are constantly in pursuit of better patient care, and we understand that speed is critical because life cannot wait. Join us!
The Patent Paralegal is responsible for supporting the intellectual property attorneys within the Legal Department. This individual must be detail oriented, organized, have strong self-starting qualities and a sense of urgency. The Patent Paralegal must have the ability to think independently, work as a team player in a challenging and dynamic environment, and possess a keen understanding of business confidentiality. The ideal candidate will be precise, motivated, and proactive, with excellent written and oral communication skills.
The responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Overseeing U.S., PCT and foreign patent and trademark application filing and prosecution support including Invention Disclosure Statements
- Preparing patent and trademark related formal documents and forms
- Reviewing physical and electronic mail from USPTO and Foreign Associates; executing associated tasks
- Docketing, data entry and retrieval from IP/Patent databases including generation of reports from such database, and maintenance of such database
- Communication and interface with clients, inventors, and managers
- Providing support of patent or trademark oppositions, patent litigations, validity and patentability opinions, and other IP matters as required
- Working with support staff team, as well as vendors, foreign patent agents and USPTO representatives to identify and resolve patent related issues
- Providing support of IP transactions including licenses, development and test agreements, etc.
- Managing all related physical and electronic files
- Assisting in maintenance and organization of patent department files, including setting up files for non-application matters being handled by intellectual property attorneys and archiving inactive files.
- Reconciling and replenishing USPTO deposit accounts
- Managing invoicing for patent matters including creating electronic copies and confirming payment in a timely fashion
- Completing administrative tasks as needed
- Adhering to the letter and spirit of the company Code of Conduct, the AdvaMed Code, MedTech Code, and all other company policies. Ensure Compliance with applicable governmental laws, rules, and regulations, both in the United States and internationally, by completing introductory and annual training and maintaining knowledge of compliance as it applies to your role
- Representing the company in a professional manner and uphold the highest standards of ethical business practices and socially responsible conduct in all interactions with other employees, customers, suppliers, and other third parties of Globus
In order to be qualified for this role, you must possess the following:
- 3+ years corporate law department or private law firm paralegal experience is preferred
- Paralegal Certificate desired; will consider a combination of work experience and skill in lieu of paralegal certificate
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree preferred; high school Diploma required
- Detailed knowledge of patent docketing procedures required
- Detailed knowledge of U.S. patent rules, regulations and use of USPTO forms & electronic filing required
- Basic knowledge of PCT and selected foreign patent rules, regulations and patent annuities
- Well organized, detail oriented and team player capable of working in a deadline driven environment
- Superior analytical skills and the motivation to provide exceptional client service
- Professionally represent and reflect company philosophy to customers, investors, regulatory agencies, and industry peers
- Must have excellent computer skills, including skills with Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience with Foundation IP is highly desired
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Globus Medical is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.